The objective of Durak is to get rid of all your cards. Players take turns attacking and defending against each other, trying to avoid becoming the “Durak,” which means the loser in Russian.
Durak is typically played with a standard deck of 52 cards, with two to six players. The game works best with three to five players. If there are more than five players, it is recommended to use two decks shuffled together. The player to the dealer’s left starts as the first attacker.
In Durak, the card rankings differ slightly from traditional card games:
- The cards rank in the following order from highest to lowest: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.
- The player to the dealer’s left starts as the first attacker. The attacker plays a card face-up in the center of the table.
- The next player in turn order becomes the defender and must beat the attacking card with a higher-ranked card of the same suit or any card of the trump suit if a trump card was played. The defender can also choose to pass, in which case they pick up all the cards on the table and become the next attacker.
- If the defender successfully beats the attacking card, the attacker can play another card, and the next player becomes the defender.
- If the defender cannot beat the attacking card, they must pick up all the cards on the table and add them to their hand. The attacker then continues their turn by playing another card.
- Play continues clockwise with players taking turns attacking and defending until all but one player has no cards left.
- The last player remaining with cards is the Durak or the loser of the round.
- After each round, the player to the left of the previous dealer becomes the new dealer, and a new round begins.
- If a trump card is played, it beats all other suits regardless of rank.
- If the defending player successfully beats an attacking card, they have the option to attack the next player and become the new attacker, starting a new attack chain.
- Some variations of Durak allow players to play multiple cards of the same rank together to increase their chances of winning the trick.
- The game may include a discard pile where players can discard unwanted cards during their turn.
- Timing is crucial in Durak. Consider when to attack and defend strategically to avoid being left with cards at the end.
- Pay attention to the cards played and try to remember which cards are still in play.
- Be mindful of the trump suit and use it strategically to gain an advantage.
- Use bluffing tactics to deceive opponents into thinking you have stronger cards.
Durak is an entertaining and strategic card game that can be enjoyed by players of all ages. With this guide, you’re ready to start playing and experience the excitement and competition of Durak!
Play online: https://blacksreds.com/durak